Skip to main content

Remembering His "wondrous works" Ps. 105


Lake Ontario, Fall 2012 Photo Credit: Julius Mascarenhas

We had our Harvest Women's Summer Event this past Friday.
The theme was Remember, Recount, Rejoice.
The evening was woven beautifully around Psalm 105 and it was a time to remember what the Lord had done at our Church.

A comment made by one of the Pastors being interviewed got me thinking. When asked what were the "wondrous works" God had done, he humbly said, that this had been a good exercise for him to list all the things that God had done in the church.  It is easy to not think of them as wondrous, he said , if you start to compare and look at other churches.

The days have been dark and heavy for me again. I seem to have lost the "wonder" of God and His working. I know in my head and my lips say that He is good but there is a gap in my heart that does not truly believe that this is Plan A for my life.

I started to think that  maybe, just maybe, like Pastor Mike said, I need to sit down and make a list of what the Lord has done. Maybe I have compared myself to other people and their lives and along the way completely lost the wonder...

I decided to take a closer look at what the Psalmist was saying:

In verses 1 to 7 he is instructing the people on how to worship the Lord.
"Give thanks"
  "Call upon His name"
     "Make known His deeds"
         "Sing praises to Him"
             "Tell of all his wondrous works"
                 "Glory in His name"
                      "Seek the Lord"..."continually"
                          "Remember the wondrous works that he has done."

Vs 8 -11 He then goes on to speak of the covenant God made with Abraham, which God "remembers forever."

Vs 12-15 He took care of them when they were
"few"
     "of little account"
         "sojourners"
            "wandering from nation to nation"
He protected them fiercely "Touch not my anointed ones..." He said.

Vs 16-22 He raised up a man - Joseph  and sent him ahead of them. He put him to the test and in time he became lord over the land and was able to provide food for God's people during the famine.

Vs 23-38 He multiplied His people and when the Egyptians turned against them He delivered them out of slavery. He rained down plagues and delivered the final stroke when the first born of their oppressors were killed.

Vs 39-45 He looked after their every need while they were in the wilderness.

He brought out the "few" those "of little account" "the sojourners" the wanderers...
He brought them out with joy, with singing, and
"And he gave them the lands of the nations, and they took possession of the fruit of the peoples' toil that they might keep his statutes and observe his laws."

The Psalmist ends with a resounding almost exhilarating: Praise the Lord!

Loved One are you in a dry season of your life? Are you comparing yourself to other people and their lives?

Would you be willing to sit down and make a list of His wondrous works in your life? Think about it for a moment,  the fact that you wake up and have the next breath is His gift to you.

As much as this is the story of the nation of Israel, it is a personal story.  As I listed even a few of  the many blessings He has bestowed on me and my girls, I realized that like the Psalmist I could shout in my heart "Praise the Lord."
This journey to my heart however is not over - it is a daily and continual seeking.

If you are a child of God and that means you recognize your need for a Saviour and you have believed and accepted the redemption that Jesus offers through His finished work on the cross, this is your story. He will bring you out with singing and joy, out of this wilderness of pain and suffering into a land where He will personally wipe every tear.. Rev 21:4

If you have not considered the claims of Christ, dear Reader I encourage you to read the Gospel of John and ask Him to reveal Himself to you.
Call upon His name...
   Seek Him....
      And you will see His Most Wondrous work of all - in the person of Jesus Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

What if the answer is NO?

Photo Credit: Julius M. Location: Monastery Door, San Antonio Texas Have you had the experience of hearing a word from God that later in the day makes more sense than at the time you heard it? In Isaiah 65:24 the Lord says" Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear." At a Jill Briscoe women's event yesterday Jill said something that intrigued me: "D o you have to see a prayer answered to trust God?" She had also said to listen with your heart and God will tell you why you are here this morning. It was a lovely morning, catching up with old friends that I had not seen for over a year. Lots of hugs and tears and promises (on my part) to meet for coffee, when time permits. I thought that was reason why I was there!! But no - there was a bigger reason. Later that night at my home - the conversation turned to prayer - specifically unanswered prayer. Back to Sunnybrook hospital - on our knees in a room ple