Skip to main content

A day spent with God and the lessons He gave me

I took a vacation day today to spend with God. It was awesome! Life seems to have got so busy, too busy and I needed a time apart.
I was seeing the signs of running on low fuel - like when the red light comes in on in the car fuel gauge and you have to stop or you will stall completely.
I went to the only place that can provide the fuel that I need to keep going - God's Word. And I went back to my favourite passages in the Bible. While I love discovering new principles and truths, there is a comfort level in going to passages that have given me strength in the past.
And one of these is Joshua 1. Many years ago when I was embarking on a new job - one that was way too big for me, God had given me a promise that He would give me success and prosperity, but there were some conditions He required of me. I went back today because once again I am embarking on a journey that is way too big for me.
 To follow along with me, if you are reading this post and you are also seeking His promises of "success and  prosperity" start by reading Joshua I http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Joshua%201&version=NIV

God's promises to Joshua:
  1. God promised Joshua to give them the promised land
  2. No one would be able to stand against Joshua all the days of his life
  3. God promised to be with him and that He would never forsake him nor leave him
  4. God promised success and prosperity
The conditions:
  1. Joshua had to be strong and courageous (trust in God)
  2. He had to be careful to obey all of God's law (total obedience)
  3. God said "do not turn to the left or right" from the law.  (Study God's Word carefully)
  4. Keep the Word always on his lips, meditate on it day and night and do everything that it says.(Spend time daily in the Word and make it my life focus).
It was so good to flesh this passage again and hear God speak once again. Of course I am not up to anything that He asks of me but I am going ahead because I trust Him - He is trustworthy.
I am committing to obey Him as He calls and to make the study of His Word my priority.

Do you have unanswered prayer? Are you waiting on Him to give you the land He promised you?
A job? a spouse? the conversion of you family? fruit in your ministry? a spouse for your child? Healing from an illness? Depression? Doubt?
Know that you can trust Him. Know that He will never leave you nor forsake you. He said that for a reason, knowing that many a time you will feel alone and forgotten.
Answer His call to study His Word and spend time with Him. Only then will you see His Heart and know whether what you ask for is according to His will. Remember that His will is the best for us even if it does not seem so at the time.
Do I sound like Miss Perfect? Far from it - I know I will fall but I know that He will remind me and never leave me nor forsake me as He promised. Jesus paid for all the times I have fallen and will fall, but He cares enough for me not to leave me where I am and I want to respond to My Lord. He is good, so very good...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or