Skip to main content

Christmas Past and Christmas Present

Yes it is here the season that I am dreading. How are we going to get through this time of year? I do not even like to think of the past years and the joy of celebration and closeness that we shared as a family. It is much too painful.
This past week  Alekhya copied me on an email that she had written to some friends. I was so blessed that I asked her permission to post it. Being the very private person  that she is(unlike her mother!!) it took some persuasion but here it is...

So, since Christmas is going to be brutal without Papa, I’ve been asking God to prepare my heart for it and teach me how to focus on HIM this Christmas. 
 
On this journey of asking God to help me focus on Christ this Christmas, I believe that He has been speaking to me...and this morning I read something that I feel really encapsulates what I feel I've been learning/reflecting on. I just really, for some reason, felt like sharing an excerpt with you! I hope you are encouraged as you prepare for the season: 


"Apart from the Gospel narratives, the birth of Jesus isn't celebrated in Scripture. In fact, the apostles don't recall this stable at Bethlehem, nor do they mention Mary by name, shepherds, wise men, or the star, to say nothing of cattle, sheep, and snowy winter!

Unless we view Bethlehem from the perspective of the Cross, most of what we sing and celebrate at Christmas amounts to glorifying the cradle, not the Cross. The love of a babe in a manger even though virgin-born and a King does nothing to save us. The apostle Paul wrote, "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world," (Gal.6:14 KJV). 

What saves us is the love revealed; when a grown-up Jesus hangs on Cross, suffers, and dies. When we have been to Calvary we cannot glory in the manger beyond the fact it was the preparation for the Cross. 

To know and experience the real meaning of Christmas we must not linger too long at Bethlehem. We must go on to Calvary. We should remember the crib, but we should live at the Cross. The wonder and glory of Christmas is not the Jesus came it is rather he came to die for sinners like you and me! His virgin birth brought God to us, but only his death as our substitute should bring us to God." 

 Isn't that awesome? And the writer doesn't even mention Santa Claus and the whole host of other lies that our society has now made a part of Christmas. I was thinking the other day, "I wonder what Jesus himself thinks about this whole Christmas thing? Is this what he ever intended? Does he like it?" For some reason, I feel as if He may do a bit more than roll his eyes at the holiday....because it has sort of snowballed into this monstrous thing that often has very little to do with Him, and more to do with gifts and evergreen trees. And for years I have inadvertently bought into the whole thing!---because I guess for years I've had everything that society says you should have at Christmas. This time around, in the midst of my pain and in the midst of my loss, I'm so thankful that God has opened my eyes to see and celebrate the real meaning of Christmas. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or