Skip to main content

Oh, The Places We Went

There comes a time when you know it is time...
A time to de-clutter.
18 years of stuff and 7 years since Julius has gone.

Where does one start with an endeavor of this kind?

I don’t think my heart and emotions are ready

But there comes a time when you must do what you need to do.

So I decided I will work my way up!

Starting at the lowest shelf of the bookcase in the lowest part of the house seemed like a good idea.


Armed with a few boxes, I descended to a place I don’t visit much these days.

The basement - a place that once was a hub of activity.

Crafts, games, friends, cable TV - all happened in this cheerful and brightly painted room.

I looked around forlornly and before I could change my mind and run back up,

I dug out the bottom of the bottom shelf.


Memories came flooding back.

Oh, the places we went!

Maps, Brochures, CAA Travel Trip Tiks!

Road trips, flights - all carefully planned.


Oh the places we went

The sights we saw

The memories we made

To remember so many years later today.


I am not sure how long this process is going to take

But like Dr. Seuss so eloquently said,

“Your mountain is waiting

So… get on your way!”


Bit by bit I will go more places and 

Visit more memories,

And conquer this mountain!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

A Letter to my Grandson on Christmas Day 2020

My darling Baby D,        It is Christmas morning and I am sitting by the fire, thinking of you. Today is a Christmas day like no other. It is the year 2020 and you will surely hear and read much about this year. Your history books will record this year. It the year that a pandemic swept across the whole world.      It is also the year you were born. It is the year God answered our prayers. We had prayed and waited for many years for you to come. God chose the time of your birth and decided how you would enter our home and our hearts.  He gave us you!         I cannot describe the emotions I had when I first saw you. You were curled up in your mama's arms. So very tender, soft, sweet, fragile, trusting, small, very small and oh so beautiful. We all fell in love with you on first sight - your  grandma, auntie and uncle. I have a funny picture of us all just staring at you as you lay on your mat. We passed you around, held you and loved you. Your Daddy and Mama could not stop smiling