Skip to main content

The One Thing


I have slackened from writing for a while, because of some major distractions this past week. I can justify a lot of distractions in my life. They are urgent, too big, only I can sort these issues, left to anyone else it will never get done, I must attend to them asap, think about them, talk about them, in short I can get so easily and convincingly distracted.
God has been challenging me again. The title of today’s sermon was “Stop Distraction...Start Devotion.” The passage was Luke 10:38-42. The Story of Martha and Mary.  I have to be honest in that I so easily identify with Martha. For years, while the family was younger and I chose to be the stay at home mom, I resented being the only one who noticed that housework had to be done.  Nobody else seemed to care or notice. It was important wasn’t it? Only to me it seemed. You know the saying if you want some quiet time, do the dishes!!
The story of Martha and Mary is so familiar, but today I got a fresh perspective as never before. To start with Martha wanted Jesus to visit but she wanted to make sure that all the preparations were done well. She could do with some help from her sister who just sat at Jesus’ feet. Martha was honest about her feelings, very important in our relationship with Jesus. She complained openly to Him. Jesus’ response – gracious and gentle, “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but only one thing is needed, Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
What were the many things that Martha was upset about? Was Martha worried about her reputation as a hostess? Was she known for her great parties? Or was she a bad cook, who was feeling harried lest she burn the meal? Was she envious of the choices her sister had made? Did she not understand the peace that sitting at Jesus’ feet brings? Did she really appreciate Jesus for who He is? Had she not heard how He multiplied the fish and loaves? Did she think she could win favour with God by her culinary expertise?
So what are the many things that distract you? Are you trying to build an identity outside of God, by being so busy with service that you fail to grasp at the one thing that Mary had chosen. Are you living a life that is a mile wide and an inch deep? Has your identity been in what you have done instead of what has been done for you by God.  Do you at any time think you can win favour with God?  David puts it well in Psalm 51:16-17 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
As I sit at the feet of Jesus and spend quality time with Him reading and studying His Word, praying, enjoying His Creation, fellowshipping with the people He sends my way, I am learning what it means to chose the one thing and not worry about the many things. My house is not the tidiest place, but who cares? Not my loving family anyway. I have to admit it is a struggle- gmail and facebook my biggest distractions, beckon. But I am going to make that choice for the One Thing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or