Skip to main content

A bend in the road

It is over six months that I started this journey on my blog. And this past month I hit a bend in the road. It seemed like I was going nowhere - like the journey had somehow stopped abruptly.
My husband, the most solid dependable person in my life, had been hit by a strange malady (for want of a better word). The doctors had no answers. I did the only thing that I know to do best, or so I thought - I prayed without ceasing. God showed us His power and grace by healing him and I rejoiced, but after a few days it came back. This is when I found myself at that bend. I pleaded with God, questioned Him, wept, bargained, made promises...Nothing happened and the bend seemed a dead end.
The road got hard and bumpy. It seemed like the joy had left our home.
This is when I began to take a hard look at my faith. How do I respond when God does not answer my prayers the way I want them? Why is it so much easier to say He is good when things are going my way?
When I realised that I was running out of steam trying to move ahead and getting nowhere, I went back to the only place that gives me comfort - God's Word. Instead of questioning I decided to listen. I  took a careful look at people who had hit those bends in their lives. The biggest example was Job. Could a life have got worse?  Job did not know if he was going to live or die  - he actually wanted to die. But he stayed faithful to God and trusted Him regardless of the outcome. In chapter 23:10 he says: "But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold."
This is a test and I want to come forth as gold too. I once heard a preacher say that when we get to the bend in the road, we must lean inward to  keep our equilibrium. So this where I am now - the malady has not gone, but I am bracing myself, leaning inward and clinging to My Lord - one of these days the road will get smooth again. This is not the end...

A Bend in the Road

When we feel
we have nothing left to give
And we are sure
that the song has ended,
When our day seems over
and the shadows fall
And the darkness of night
has descended.

Where can we go
to find the strength
To valiantly
keep on trying?
Where can we find
the hand that will dry
The tears that the heart
is crying?

There's but one place to go
and that is to God,
And dropping
all pretense and pride,
We can pour out our problems
without restraint
And gain strength
with Him at our side.

And together we stand
at life's crossroads
And view what we think
is the end,
But God
has a much bigger vision,
And He tells us
it's only a bend.

For the road goes on
and is smoother,
And the pause
in the song is a rest,
And the part that's unsung
and unfinished
Is the sweetest
and richest and best.

So rest and relax
and grow stronger ...
Let go and let God
share your load.
Your work is not finished
or ended ...
You've just come
to a bend in the road.

--Helen Steiner Rice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or