Skip to main content

A tribute to my Dad

Vicente Xavier Lobo, Papa to Julius and me, Thusa to the girls, Vixalo to his friends, Doutor Xavier to his patients, Uncle Xavier to all his nieces and nephews  and Dr Lobo to most others –on October 29th, went to sleep hooked up to his dialysis machine as usual and never woke up.
Later that day, we went to clear out his belongings in the nursing home. Three years ago on Father’s day I had written a very personal letter to him. It was still in his drawer. As a tribute to him, I shared it with my dear family and friends at the Memorial service.

My darling Papa,
On this Father’s day, I want to tell you how much you mean to me and all the life lessons I learned from you. I don’t think I have ever taken the time to tell you how much I appreciate you. You have been a very good father to me – very patient and loving even when I did not deserve it. I remember sitting on your lap as a little girl and feeling so safe especially at nights when we did not have electricity and I was so afraid of the dark. I was always so afraid of the snakes in Jua , the ghost stories and robberies in every house that we lived in, and it seemed that you always managed to protect me.
I also learned valuable lessons from you that have shaped the person that I grew up to be.
I admired your tenacity and perseverance in the face of so many odds – how you got a double degree in pharmacy and medicine at a much later age in spite of so many challenges.
I admire the decision you took to change your career and stay in Jua for Avo’s sake and your care of her till her death.
I admired your honesty and integrity in all your dealings with people. I especially admired your relationship with your family and your forgiveness of the deep hurts that happened at a significant time in your life. Ironically Julius and I were faced with similar experiences and I was able to forgive readily because I had seen you do it.
I also gratefully admire how you cared for Mama in all her 20 years of being sick with rheumatoid arthritis. It was truly fulfilling your marriage vows for better or worse, in sickness and health. This is what God requires of good marriages and you modeled it for me.
We – Julius Alekhya and Deepika also enjoyed wonderful holidays in Jua. We loved coming home and being treated like royalty with “leitao” and samosas and laddoos form Cafe Central. You spared no effort in making our stay as comfortable as possible – all expenses paid!
I know that coming to Canada was not something you would have done, if mama was still alive and you were almost forced to do it and I also know that it has been very lonely and difficult very often and I am so sorry for the times that I have been impatient and seemed uncaring. I want to say that I truly love you.
Your loving - Joslyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

What if the answer is NO?

Photo Credit: Julius M. Location: Monastery Door, San Antonio Texas Have you had the experience of hearing a word from God that later in the day makes more sense than at the time you heard it? In Isaiah 65:24 the Lord says" Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear." At a Jill Briscoe women's event yesterday Jill said something that intrigued me: "D o you have to see a prayer answered to trust God?" She had also said to listen with your heart and God will tell you why you are here this morning. It was a lovely morning, catching up with old friends that I had not seen for over a year. Lots of hugs and tears and promises (on my part) to meet for coffee, when time permits. I thought that was reason why I was there!! But no - there was a bigger reason. Later that night at my home - the conversation turned to prayer - specifically unanswered prayer. Back to Sunnybrook hospital - on our knees in a room ple