Skip to main content

Lessons learned in the last 3 months...The Lord gives and takes


It is almost 3 months since the day the Lord took Julius home to Himself. Our world has turned upside down and I find myself on a very unfamiliar and often scary road. This is not what I imagined life would be like.
I had my own dreams and plans. They always included Julius by my side. And then without any warning and no time to process or prepare, came this sudden, terrible, life shattering change of plans.
Over these last 3 months, I have had much time to spend with God and ponder on what happened. Of course my first question was “why?” How could a loving God do this to me? Why was I singled out? God is Sovereign; He could’ve prevented this accident. Why was it so horrific? Here we were a simple immigrant family living a quiet life on a quiet street, and now we are in the eye of a storm that they warn me is going to last for many years to come. Dealing with police officers, lawyers, insurance adjusters....not the kind of people I like hanging out with!
My emotions were and still are out of control. I hate long beautiful summer weekends – they remind me of Julius and all the fun stuff we did together. How am I going to face dreary fall days, and cold winter nights? “Woe is me” and on and on...

But God...
In His Sovereign goodness and love He has drawn me closer to Him in a way that I do not believe would have been possible outside of this tragedy.
His presence is the sweetest it has ever been to me. I cherish my times in the morning with Him and He has taught me much.

Lesson # 1: we cannot have a sense of entitlement to the blessings that come from Him.
Interestingly the weeks preceding the accident, at church, we were working through a series on the book of Jonah.  God was preparing me and teaching me a powerful lesson that I was going to need in the days to come.
Quoting from the book of Jonah 4:6-10.
Then the Lord God provided a leafy plant[a] and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade for his head to ease his discomfort, and Jonah was very happy about the plant. But at dawn the next day God provided a worm, which chewed the plant so that it withered. When the sun rose, God provided a scorching east wind, and the sun blazed on Jonah’s head so that he grew faint. He wanted to die, and said, “It would be better for me to die than to live.”But God said to Jonah, “Is it right for you to be angry about the plant?”“It is,” he said. “And I’m so angry I wish I were dead.”10 But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight.
In this account we see that God provided the leafy plant to give Jonah shade. “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father...” James 1:17
God took away the plant – it was His to give and take. Jonah’s reaction was extreme. He was angry and churlish – to the point of wanting to die.

Julius and the life we shared was a gift from God. I cannot, like Jonah be angry that God took him away so suddenly. God is sovereign- He is the owner of it all.
Loved one what are you feeling a sense of entitlement to these days? Your job that was downsized? Your health that is not so good? Your kids who are leaving the nest? The loss of loved ones? Your life that is not going as planned and imagined by you?
Unlike Jonah we must learn to praise God for His blessings when we have them. Jonah did not thank God when the leafy plant provided shade and yet he was so angry whey it was taken away. It is easy to smile at the Jonah story but how often we behave just like he did?
Dearest Reader, God is sovereign - He is the Creator and He owns it all. He also knows best and we cannot doubt His goodness to us, even when the heat is turned up in our lives. His plans and purposes will come to fruition. He is God.
I am learning to praise Him in the shade and scorching sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

The past 2 weeks

How do I describe these last 2 weeks of my life? May 7th, 2013 a seemingly ordinary day. Julius dressed for work in his new red checked shirt, and new flat front khakis. feeling good, looking great, bounding off to work with a huge smile and a hug with a promise to come home. Last conversation "guess what I read in the book of Jeremiah today" (always, always excited about God's Word) "don't put my pyjamas to the wash", (knowing my habit of throwing everything to the wash), helping me clear the room for the workmen who were coming that day to change the windows (my strong man),  "thank you for making my lunch" (always so gracious and thankful). 10 am - a call from work to say that he was not yet there. No answer on his cell phone - wouldn't have returned a call anyway because his phone was in the trunk of his car (safe driving habit). I just knew that something was horribly wrong. and then a blur of OPP officer at the door, phone call to Ale