Skip to main content

"And other boats were with Him."

Looking at my last blog post, I realise that I have not been in My Well Watered Garden for a month. "Thank you", to you my friends who have been encouraging me to keep going. I am so amazed and blessed that you come here to read and I pray that you will be refreshed as you read God's story in my life.
Truth to tell I have not been able to come here because I got myself at a crossroad and took the wrong turn. Remember my life verse that Julius underlined a couple of hours before he went to Heaven,
This is what the Lord says: “Stop at the crossroads and look around.  Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6:16
Well I took my eyes off the Lord and wandered off into an alley way that led to despair and sheer exhaustion. I began to look at my situation and began to question and threw myself a big pity party.  Nobody knew because nobody was invited. I, me and myself - it was horrid. I kept thinking "why" and "what if."  Of course there were no answers, no music, only bitter tears. I think I could actually taste the bitterness. My quiet times with God became short and brief - I stopped for a few moments, let God know what I was feeling and did not stop to hear His voice speak to me.
I finally found myself at a dead end with no where to go but to fall on my knees before Him and He graciously comforted and loved me.
As I cried out to Him about the darkness of the storm that I am in, I found myself in Mark 4:35 looking closely at another real storm that He was actually in.
Jesus was tired and He asked the disciples that they go to the other side. They obeyed and they took Him in the boat. A great storm arose and the waves crashed into the boat. Jesus slept soundly till they woke Him up it seems. They accused Him of not caring. They did not know that He was the Lord of the storm - He had only to verbally rebuke it with the words: "Peace Be Still" and it stopped.
He asked them "why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?" They were filled with great fear but this was awe and reverence of being in the presence of The One who was Lord of the sea and the wind.
Tucked away in the middle of the account is a small sentence that I had never noticed before. "And other boats were with Him." I actually saw it while ready a Spurgeon devotional,
Who were these people in the boats? Were they following Jesus to see what else He would do? were they hungering for more teaching from Him and were willing to follow even in other boats? By following Jesus they got themselves into the same storm that He was in.
Following Jesus and being obedient does not guarantee that we will not get into storms. More likely they will happen. He does warn us about them. In 1 Peter 4:12 we read: Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.
Loved one are you in a storm like me? Are your days dark and heavy? and there seems like there is no hope or end in sight? And Jesus is not in your boat? Feels like you are alone and you are getting sick of the ups and downs of the waves crashing around you? One day up another down? You have been obedient for the most part and followed closely to Him?
It is pretty clear from this account that He is in the very storm that He allows to happen.
He is not disturbed - He is in control and He is Sovereign. He will calm the storm at the precise moment that He knows is good and perfect. When He calmed the storm all the boats came to rest.
So then should we not follow Him because of the dangers of the storms that we might get ourselves into? No never because not only is He with us, He alone can calm the storm and  the closer we follow the clearer His voice of comfort. "Peace Be still!" What a glorious display of His power and might on the seas that night!
Loved one follow closely - He will come through and you will hear His voice saying "peace be still" In the meanwhile hear His gentle voice as I did "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?"
I am trusting...once again on the only way that will give me rest for my weary soul. Thank you Lord that You never fail to come through. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or