Skip to main content

Jesus came to bind the brokenhearted

Continuing in the "Breaking Free" study by Beth Moore, God has been faithful to show me what He meant when He said to me that He will reveal Himself to me like I never have seen Him before.
Looking at Jesus in Luke 4. He had just been tested in the wilderness and as Luke describes "Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit..." Luke 4:14.
He then describes a dramatic moment and I cannot say it better than he did:
16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19     to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”[f]
20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”
What a dramatic moment this must have been. The Jews were waiting for centuries and this "Joseph's son" dared to call Himself the fulfilment of the scriptures.
Memories of Julius and our trip to Israel came flooding back. I remember sitting in an excavated synagogue that is said to be this very site and reading this very passage and us both closing our eyes to picture this scene. Lord thank you for these memories - still so painful and yet precious to hold on to.
 
Jesus was quoting Isaiah 61. Never thought of it this way but Beth Moore describes it as Jesus' personal charter, His job description. 
Isaiah 61 says that Jesus came to proclaim good news to the poor, to bind the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release prisoners from darkness and to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour.
Again how many times have I read this scripture and not thought much of it but this time it takes on a completely different meaning for me. I can trust my broken heart to Jesus to be healed, because He said He will.
Dear reader where do you find yourself in this list?
Are longing for good news? Are you feeling devoid of energy and even the will to go on? Are you stuck in a rut? a bondage of fear, despair, hopelessness? doubt? has life lost meaning for you? are younot seeing a future and therefore blind to the plans that He promises are for your good? do you not understand why you are where you are? Is your heart broken?
Turn to Him loved one. He is able, more than able. Read His Word daily and He will reveal Himself to you. He is doing it for me.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

The past 2 weeks

How do I describe these last 2 weeks of my life? May 7th, 2013 a seemingly ordinary day. Julius dressed for work in his new red checked shirt, and new flat front khakis. feeling good, looking great, bounding off to work with a huge smile and a hug with a promise to come home. Last conversation "guess what I read in the book of Jeremiah today" (always, always excited about God's Word) "don't put my pyjamas to the wash", (knowing my habit of throwing everything to the wash), helping me clear the room for the workmen who were coming that day to change the windows (my strong man),  "thank you for making my lunch" (always so gracious and thankful). 10 am - a call from work to say that he was not yet there. No answer on his cell phone - wouldn't have returned a call anyway because his phone was in the trunk of his car (safe driving habit). I just knew that something was horribly wrong. and then a blur of OPP officer at the door, phone call to Ale