Skip to main content

The Lord ...upholds the widow and the fatherless Ps.146:9


Dear Reader: With my daughter’s permission I am sharing the testimony she gave this past Sunday of God’s faithfulness to us. To Him be the glory and praise and power forever.

 
On Tuesday July 23rd I received an email from Maureen McCullough informing me that I had been chosen to be one of the recipients of the McCullough bursary. I was so grateful and thankful to receive this small piece of good news…something that I felt had been lacking in my life for the past few months…good news. I continued to read Maureen’s email only to learn that

The Bursary was established in 1997 to honour the memory of three members of the McCullough family who lost their lives in a tragic car accident. All three were involved in teaching in the Ontario public school system and devoted to making a difference in the lives of children.

After reading this email I was overcome with emotion. One week before the deadline to submit my bursary application on a similar Tuesday morning, Tuesday May 7th to be exact, I did not receive an email with good news…instead my mum and I received a call…a phone call that would drastically change our lives. We received news that my father had not reached work, and after much confusion we learned that there had been an accident on the 404 – 4 cars, 1 motor cycle…my father had been airlifted to Sunnybrooke hospital…and so began the nightmare. Waiting and praying was all we did that day, surrounded by the body of believers. But that evening, God chose in His Sovereignty to take my papa home to Glory. Since then my life has been about clinging to faith, clinging to what I know about God’s love even if I didn’t always feel it. But everytime I felt anger welling up inside of me, or doubts over the power of God – I felt Him gently remind me of His love, and faithfulness. Maureen McCullough’s email was one of these reminders. The night before receiving this email I could feel myself sinking – sinking into a dark place of despair, and that morning when all I could do was numbly get out of bed was when I received the email. Who but God would grant me a bursary that was founded in memory of a tragic car accident that took the lives of three members of the McCullough family. My mum, sister, and I had been feeling so lonely in our journey of mourning but this email was a reminder that we were not alone.
 
Paul had said in Romans 8 “For I consider that the suffering of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it in hope, that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.” I am so thankful that I know that my papa is free from this world in the arms of His Savior fully worshiping Him. I am thankful that I am assured of salvation because Jesus Christ died for my sins, even though I was still sinful He made a way for me to have a relationship with Him. He took on my sins and changed my heart to accept Him as Lord and Savior and He used my father to lead me to this truth. I know that my father would want me to use this opportunity to encourage all of you to stand firm in your faith and press on toward the upward calling, and if there are some of you who are here today who don’t know Jesus Christ please know that Jesus is calling you to Him – He desires for you to know Him…something I have learned in all of this is that life is so temporary and that we can only have the hope of eternal life with Jesus Christ if we turn from our sins and follow Him. Please do not turn away from His calling.

Lastly I want to say thank you – thank you for starting this bursary, thank you for investing in students like myself, and thank you for your faithfulness in this ministry. My desire is to use the money you have given me to invest into my career – not just for my teaching profession but to be light in the classroom and to continue what my Papa, and Mr. McCullough were living for – Jesus Christ.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

What if the answer is NO?

Photo Credit: Julius M. Location: Monastery Door, San Antonio Texas Have you had the experience of hearing a word from God that later in the day makes more sense than at the time you heard it? In Isaiah 65:24 the Lord says" Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear." At a Jill Briscoe women's event yesterday Jill said something that intrigued me: "D o you have to see a prayer answered to trust God?" She had also said to listen with your heart and God will tell you why you are here this morning. It was a lovely morning, catching up with old friends that I had not seen for over a year. Lots of hugs and tears and promises (on my part) to meet for coffee, when time permits. I thought that was reason why I was there!! But no - there was a bigger reason. Later that night at my home - the conversation turned to prayer - specifically unanswered prayer. Back to Sunnybrook hospital - on our knees in a room ple