Skip to main content

Praise to God for a Living Hope

In the last six months, at my Church, The Lord has taken 3 people home to Himself. For the size of the congregation, this is a bit much or so I think.
They were of different ages, different ethnicity, different backgrounds but united in their absolute conviction and certainty in the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
First there was Julius, who I would describe as a "fool for Christ". His passion was the Word of God and he never hesitated to tell any and everyone the reason for his faith - the person of Jesus Christ.
Then the Lord took Norma home. I visited Norma in the hospital and even now her memory brings a smile to my face. She had her Xrays that showed her insides were ravaged by cancer and yet she was sitting up in bed and praying and speaking boldly for Jesus. She was staring death in the face but was not discouraged - she knew where she was going and she was determined to live her last breath for Jesus. She encouraged me and urged me to press on.
And then - Jacqui. A beautiful life gone back to her Creator at the tender age of 23. What an amazing story of redemption and hope. Her life verse was " For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Phil 1:21. Jacqui lived Christ and is now receiving her reward in heaven.

I wonder what the Lord is saying to us through these home goings? We cannot be unchanged by these events.
Time is short and does not belong to us.
He gives and takes.
He is Creator, the Potter and He has every right to act and move in the direction that He does.
You or I could be next - are we ready?

I am at a loss for words and this is the best time to trust in His Word and so I went to 1 Peter 3. My prayer is straight from this passage.
"Praise be to the God and Father of my Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given me new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for me,  who through faith am shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this I greatly rejoice, though now for a little while I may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of my faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though I have not seen him, I love him; and even though I do not see him now, I believe in him and am filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for I are receiving the end result of my faith, the salvation of my soul.

Loved one if you don't know what I am talking about and you don't have a relationship with  Jesus Christ, ask Him to reveal Himself to you. He will, He has promised if we ask we will receive. If you think that you will go to heaven because you have been good, this is a lie, God's Word says that not one of us is good enough. God's standard of holiness and purity is too high for us to ever attain and that is why he sent His Son Jesus to make a way for us. Remember how the veil of the temple tore the night He died- the way was made. His invitation for you and me is: Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. Revelation 3:20
Do not rely on the trappings of religion - Jesus exposed these as hypocritical. It is your heart that He wants - broken and contrite. Will you give it to Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or