Skip to main content

Remembering my Papa - Deepika

     As a child some of my favourite memories come from playing with my dad. In many ways I think I was the little boy he never had. I would play lego, build knex, play with trains, and race my remote control car with papa. I would watch the world cup with him, go to soccer games, and play badminton in the backyard. Papa always made me feel so special and cherished, I would love trying to be just like papa building IKEA beds with him, and learning how to work a power drill. I got to be his special helper every time we had to fix something in the house. In my eyes Papa could do anything.
    As I got older, I learned more about Papa’s character. He was the first to discover truths about Jesus Christ and God used Him to lead our family towards truth and salvation. When I came to faith it was him and my mother who sat me down and explained to me John 3:16 “for God so loved the world, He gave His only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not die but have eternal life” Papa was the first person to challenge me to read the bible daily.
    Yesterday I spent sometime going through my emails that Papa had sent me. In each email he would remind me of his love, each email he would impart wisdom to me. There have been significant times in my life where I felt low or lonely, and Papa would without fail send me a bible verse to encourage me or song lyrics to comfort me.
   As I look back on the emails I find that I am still gaining comfort and strength from the verses and words he would send me. I hope as I read you quotes from his emails you will be blessed and will also gain an insight into the type of man he was

Hi Dipsy,
Please check out the words of this BSF song "Trust Him when Thy Wants are Many". I am sure Jesus will lift you up when you look to Him in trust, and take you through the valley in His mighty hands.

Your loving Papa
 

 1. Trust Him when thy wants are many;
 Trust Him when thy friends are few;
And the time of swift temptation
 Is the time to trust Him too.

2. Trust Him when thy soul is burdened
 With the sense of all its sin;
He will speak the word of pardon,
 He will make thee clean within.


3. Trust Him for the grace sufficient,
 Ever equal to thy need;
Trust Him always for the answer,
 When in His dear name you plead.


4. Trust Him for the grace to conquer,
 He is able to subdue;
Trust Him for the power for service;
 Trust Him for the blessing too.


5. Trust Him when dark doubts assail thee,
 Trust Him when thy strength is small,
Trust Him when to simply trust Him
 Seems the hardest thing of all.

 6. Trust Him; He is ever faithful;
 Trust Him, for His will is best;
Trust Him, for the heart of Jesus
 Is the only place of rest.


7.Trust Him, then, through cloud or sunshine,
  All thy cares upon Him cast,
Till the storm of life is over,
  And the trusting days are past.

 
Verses that he sent me were :

·         "trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight" Pr. 3:5.

·         James 1:12 "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."

·         Isaiah 43:2 " When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you abase.

·         2 Cor 12:9
               "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”

In the testimony he had written about a trial he was going through in his health he ended His story with…
Now I know that in trials – God refines us in the crucible of fire. Our faith is tested, and he takes us only to the limits for which He sustains us with His grace. He has revealed His love for me.

Papa’s life was lived in devotion to Christ and making Christ’s name known. Although we are hurting and it feels like the pain is constantly there – I know where He is, and that is with His Heavenly Father. I want to continue to live the way my father lived. If my father has ever shared the good news of Jesus Christ, if I have ever told you about Jesus, if my sister and my mum has ever told you about Jesus, please do not leave this place with out seeking truth about Jesus Christ…my papa lived to make Jesus known, He lived in the desire that each one of you would love Christ more. My papa was the best earthly father I could ever ask for, he was an undeserved blessing in my life…He corrected me when he knew I need to be corrected, he loved me consistently, he mentored me, and he showered me with Christ’s love.
I am thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

The past 2 weeks

How do I describe these last 2 weeks of my life? May 7th, 2013 a seemingly ordinary day. Julius dressed for work in his new red checked shirt, and new flat front khakis. feeling good, looking great, bounding off to work with a huge smile and a hug with a promise to come home. Last conversation "guess what I read in the book of Jeremiah today" (always, always excited about God's Word) "don't put my pyjamas to the wash", (knowing my habit of throwing everything to the wash), helping me clear the room for the workmen who were coming that day to change the windows (my strong man),  "thank you for making my lunch" (always so gracious and thankful). 10 am - a call from work to say that he was not yet there. No answer on his cell phone - wouldn't have returned a call anyway because his phone was in the trunk of his car (safe driving habit). I just knew that something was horribly wrong. and then a blur of OPP officer at the door, phone call to Ale