Skip to main content

The call of the Koyal

 In Mumbai. 4:30 am. I have been awake for a while.
Mumbai - Bombay to me. Memories come flooding back. It feels like I have come back full circle. Our first date - sitting in the front garden of this very home with J.
I remember coming back home that night and talking about my date late into the night with my friend. "He loves me? He loves me not?" Happy carefree days...
Here I am again. She has once again opened her heart and home to me.
We talk even now like old times but these are different days. We have gone through huge life stuff.
I remember a coffee shop we frequented down the road on Kemps corner- Julius loved kona coffee. Not sure if this place still exists.
The city gets more concrete. Multi-storied buildings - high risers - very high risers and slums, very often on the same street.
So much is new and yet so much is so familiar.
It is hot - even at this early morning hour the temperature is 30 C.
I check the forecast and there is no rain in sight...
 and then I hear it.
The call of the Koyal - the rain bird.
It's cry is loud and she overpowers the raucous call of the local crow. It starts slow and then repeats it's cry in a rising crescendo. Do I hear a desperation in her cry?
Is she parched and thirsty and longing for the cooling rain?
I find myself so moved as I listen. Somehow her cry echoes mine - a season of dryness and an ever present and increasing thirst that longs for relief.
The heat is oppressive as the earth and the millions of people wait for the rain to come.
I am reminded of another dry place in another time.
John 4. It was afternoon, the sun was high on Jacob's well. .
On a possibly routine and mundane chore of filling her water jars, a Samaritan woman also came to the well at the same time as Jesus did. Her life was a mess. Did she long for more than physical water? Was she also longing for relief and wholeness?  Was this even possible? She had looked in many places it seems and nothing satified.
On that hot afternoon she had no idea how her life was going to change. She did not know that the very Son of God was waiting at the well.
She thought she was going to give Him water to drink, but He in turn offered her life giving waters. "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again."
Loved one are you thirsty? Like the koyal are you crying out? Life stuff is beating down on you - as oppressive as the heat in Mumbai today. You want an escape but a little glass of water will not do it - you need a downpour, a refreshing.
Call on Him who waits for you. He has promised to answer.
In the meanwhile the koyal keeps calling. It gets hotter. All of creation is waiting for the skies to open, for relief from the heat.






 

Comments

  1. Beautiful thought and I liked the way you related thirst and dryness in our life. Thank you Joslyn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or