Skip to main content

Looking back at the pathway that He made



Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God spoke to me through Psalm 77. I was reading Julius' NLT version desperately trying to connect with Julius through his underlined verses.

In the process of trying to connect with him, I found myself connecting with My Lord in greater intimacy. In those early days I could hear His gentle whisper to me.

He promised to make a way where there was no way. He had taken the nation of Israel through the Red Sea and He was going to take me through this sea of grief and loss.

Your road led through the sea,
    your pathway through the mighty waters—
    a pathway no one knew was there! Ps 77:19

I have been back since to see how God has fulfilled that promise to me.

What are the mighty waters that He has enabled me to cross without being drowned?

He has given me joy in the midst of suffering. To be honest I think the pain is more now than it was a year ago. I cannot glamorize this state of widowhood. It is painful and nasty. The pain stalks you - feels like I have a constant video running in my head that only I can see. And yet I cannot explain the joy of the Lord that is my strength in this pain.

I am able to function because of the strength that is this joy.

He has given me strength of character that is able to look at adversity in the face and not panic.

He has given me compassion that I never had. Grace to give out that is not my own. 

He has given me food on the table and provided for my every physical need.

He has enabled me to go back to work 3 weeks after the accident and never once call in sick.

He has given me grace and compassion to interface all day with angry clients who hate insurance and insurance agents. 

He opened the road to make the journey back to India. He placed it on a friend's heart to travel with me. Who but God could do this for me...

Sometimes it feels like I have spent the last year trying to erase Julius name from every document that I posses - He has given me the assurance that Julius name was written in the Book of the Lamb and it will never be erased.

He has given me a church family that has stood by me and supported me. 

He has opened a ministry for me to serve the women of my church. I wondered if I would be of any use after this blow - but His power is made perfect in my weakness. 

He has given me hope through His Son Jesus Christ. The gospel has become far more real to me. It is no longer a theory in my head but a reality in my heart. So so grateful for Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

What if the answer is NO?

Photo Credit: Julius M. Location: Monastery Door, San Antonio Texas Have you had the experience of hearing a word from God that later in the day makes more sense than at the time you heard it? In Isaiah 65:24 the Lord says" Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear." At a Jill Briscoe women's event yesterday Jill said something that intrigued me: "D o you have to see a prayer answered to trust God?" She had also said to listen with your heart and God will tell you why you are here this morning. It was a lovely morning, catching up with old friends that I had not seen for over a year. Lots of hugs and tears and promises (on my part) to meet for coffee, when time permits. I thought that was reason why I was there!! But no - there was a bigger reason. Later that night at my home - the conversation turned to prayer - specifically unanswered prayer. Back to Sunnybrook hospital - on our knees in a room ple