Skip to main content

Where are you Christmas?

Walked into my favourite Christian bookstore last week and I saw what I thought was a new product - cards for a difficult Christmas. I thought "Ahaa.. somebody finally realized that Christmas is not the happy time of year it is touted to be." When I commended the cashier for selling these, she said to me: "We have always had these cards for sale. They do get sold pretty quick though."

Interesting - I had never noticed them before even though this is a store I have visited every year for my Christmas cards.

I turned on the radio a couple of weeks ago, and I tuned in to what used to my favorite Christmas station streaming from Buffalo. 102.5 FM

I listened to song after song and my mind just could not grasp the "joy" that I had always felt at Christmas.

I felt like little Cindy Lou Who as she sang in the movie The Grinch who stole Christmas:

Where are you Christmas 
Why can't I find you 
Why have you gone away 
Where is the laughter 
You used to bring me 
Why can't I hear music play 

My world is changing
I'm rearranging
Does that mean Christmas changes too
What changed? 
Where are you Christmas
Do you remember
The one you used to know
I'm not the same one
See what the time's done
Is that why you have let me go

Change - of course much has changed. Like Cindy I am not the same one for sure. Like her world, my world has changed too.

Cindy Lou Who ends her song by saying:
If there is love in your heart and your mind
You will feel like Christmas all the time

However unlike her I cannot "find" or "feel" Christmas inside of me.

I have to go outside of me...

I have to go to the beginning of time. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." John 1:14

The birth and coming of Christ was foretold in many ways by many prophets but there was never any mention of snowy winter nights, Santa Claus, sleigh bells, Christmas trees, turkey dinner or even family gatherings.

Wait a minute...There was a family of sorts- Joseph and his pregnant fiance Mary travelling to a nondescript little town to get themselves registered. She was going to give birth and he did not have enough influence to even get her a room at the inn. "And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and  laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn." Luke 2:7

How did we come so far from this first Christmas morning to what we have made it today?

When I first came to know Jesus as my personal Saviour I had heard a sermon by Pastor Nelson Annan titled "The Shadow of the Cross over the manger."

It had made a deep impression on me. .

Yes it is good to remember and celebrate but if we do not see the shadow of the cross that lay across the crib, then we have lost the reason for the season. The reason for the season is not just a babe in a manger born of a virgin but more than that the Son of God who came to earth to die for us. It is in His substitutionary death and resurrection that we glory. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Loved One is Christmas hard for you? The world is blaring a different tune - you are told to have a holly jolly Christmas because it is the best time of the year. And every nerve inside of you is screaming - no it is not. Your family is shattered, your health is bad, you have lost a loved one, your child is rebellious, you thought you would find the partner of your dreams and it has not happened, your marriage is rocky... You feel alone even inside the church, You get left out of every party - you have nowhere to go on Christmas day...you are plain exhausted and tired.

Dear Reader if this is you, remember you are not alone. 2000 years ago there was much pain on that first Christmas day. I wonder how Mary felt. She had been told by the angel Gabriel that she was"the favored One" that the Lord is with her."that she had "found favor with God" and she was going to give birth to the Son of the Most High. This would be accomplished by the power of the Holy Spirit and that power of the Most High will overshadow her. Luke 1.
And here she was...no room at the inn...giving birth in a stable. I wonder what her thoughts were? Mary's pain and loneliness did not stop. The shadow of the Cross on the manger did not leave her, until Jesus rose again.
This year, I encourage you Loved One to look beyond Christmas to Christ Himself.
Seek Him with all your heart and mind and in the midst of your pain and loneliness you will find the perfect love that came down that first Christmas morn.

Comments

  1. Thank You, Joslyn. Well said and a good reminder of the true meaning of Christmas and it's significance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nandini - for reading my blog and encouraging me. The Lord has been gracious to us in this furnace of suffering. It has been a difficult year but I can say like the Apostle Paul - His grace is sufficient. Much love to your family

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or