Skip to main content

The unfinished wood trim on my windows



Today was a beautiful day outside.
        The sun was shining.
             I opened my windows to let the spring air in and I could hear the birds singing. Spring is here. For most it is a time of joy and a reminder of new life.

For me it is a reminder of death.

Two years ago another spring day. A day that started out so perfect, so full of promise...

We were finally getting a brand new set of windows. The contractors were here.

One phone call changed it all, the police car at my door...the horror and shock and utter disbelief that what was supposed to be a only a nightmare was indeed reality.

By the time the contractors finished the job, he was gone.
They were kind and sympathetic and even put the curtains back up.

But the wood trim was left for us to paint - was not part of the contract.

I sat on my bed this morning - the sun was streaming in and my eyes fell on the wood trim.
     Almost 2 years later still raw, unfinished. A stark reminder of that day.

A day of searing loss and grief that will stay with me all the days of my life.

As I gaze at the wood trim, I cannot help but think of another piece of wood - the cross on which My Saviour hung and died for me.

It is Good Friday.

It is a good day to remember.

...He never sinned,
nor ever deceived anyone.
He did not retaliate when he was insulted,
nor threaten revenge when he suffered.
He left his case in the hands of God,
who always judges fairly.
He personally carried our sins
in his body on the cross
so that we can be dead to sin
and live for what is right.
By his wounds
you are healed.
 Once you were like sheep
who wandered away.
But now you have turned to your Shepherd,
the Guardian of your souls. 1 Peter 2:22-25

It is Good Friday - a day like no other. 
A day that changed the world - forever.
A day when Jesus fulfilled God's great plan of redemption. His blood was shed for you and me. He overcame the grave. Once and for all. He tore the veil and opened the way for us to have a relationship with God Himself. He did what we could never do on our own. It is finished He said. 
Once and for all.

Yes my sorrow is great and it does not leave me, But I can rejoice in the cross of Christ.
As I look at the unfinished wood trim, I will choose to think of this day.
I will remember the hope that I have in Jesus.
I will remember and look forward to another day when  "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more,neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Rev 21:4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or