Skip to main content

A Question of Happiness

A couple of weeks ago, our Womens ministry had our annual Christmas event. I love these evenings. I love the women of our church. We had a night of singing carols, games, food (of course) and powerful testimonies of God's grace and redemption in the lives of 3 of our own young women.

In her opening comments for the evening Ruth, our ministry director described how she had gone shopping that morning, and at a well known store that sells fragrances, candles and such like, she found "The Perfect 3 Wick Candle." It came with a promise: "Happiness Guaranteed or Your Money Back."
Next she went to the card store and found a card that said: "God has promised Happiness and He is always faithful to His Word."

Ruth's question to me was, "In these last few years of your journey, would you say you agree with either statement?" I have spent some time thinking about her question to me.

In these 3 and a half years, I would not describe my life as happy. How could I be happy? My world had torn apart the day a distracted driver wrecked havoc on the 404.

Happiness...what does happiness mean?

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines Happiness as:
a)  : a state of well-being and contentment (synonym: Joy)
b)  : a pleasurable or satisfying experience

I guess by the second definition, candles would give you a pleasant experience. The question, however, was really addressing a far deeper need than a short sweet smelling experience. A candle cannot for sure - even a perfect one with 3 wicks, provide a lasting state of contentment. And I do not know how anyone would be able to prove that the guaranteed results did not work, to get a refund, anyway!!.

Now to the message on the card....
"God has promised Happiness and He is always faithful to His word." It does have a ring of truth to it - doesn't it?
God has promised - yes Our God keeps His promises. We know that truth for sure.
God is faithful - always faithful, Yes that is true too.
But has God promised happiness?

The women's small groups in our church had just finished a study in 1 Peter and and this short letter has addressed suffering in the lives of the believers. Peter was addressing the Christians who were exiled and were suffering tremendous persecution for their faith under the Emperor Nero.

Peter was realistic about their trials. "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you." 1 Pet 4:12. He was saying ridicule, rejection and suffering are to be expected for the follower of Jesus Christ.

But he follows that statement with: "But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed." 1 Peter 4:13.

Rejoice in suffering...That sounds so familiar does it not? A quick Google search on rejoicing in suffering brought up ever so many verses:
To quote just a couple:
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Rom 8:18
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 2 Cor 4:17

Going back to the dictionary definition, the synonym for happiness was "Joy"
Is it safe to say then that joy - which is deeper and more lasting than happiness is attainable? But that it is found mostly in suffering?

Dear Reader, this is the Christmas season and the noise and cacophony around us is deafening. We are being offered and guaranteed happiness from so much around us. 

Would you stop to consider the message of Christmas?
God came down to us. Born of a virgin, just as God had promised long long ago.
"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Is 7:14.
He lived amongst man, suffered, died and rose again in oder to open the way for us to have eternal life. 

Look closely at what Peter said to those early Christians. This message holds as true for us today.
In Christ we are born again to a living hope: "to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,  who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,  so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

If like me, you find yourself suffering various trials, hold on to the hope you have in Christ. Just as God promised us Christmas, He has promised us the day of His return. He will come, to right all wrongs, and to wipe every tear. This a promise that is guaranteed to you, only if you have accepted His Son as your Saviour. 

So Ruth, long answer to your question, God does not promise temporary happiness, He offers far more - he offers deep and abiding joy!

Happy Christmas one and all! 

Comments

  1. A deeply personal and Biblical examination on joy and happiness, even in persecution.
    May God continue to shine His face on you now and always!
    I learned a while back about the roles of God, and I love this, it continues to make things clear for me (Thanks, Kent Annan!)
    God the Father - Creator!
    Jesus Christ the Son - Redeemer!
    The Holy Spirit - Sustainer!
    This reminds me to engage in ALL that God offers us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea. Yes His plans are good even in the worst circumstances and one day He will right all wrongs and we will see clearly. Hang in there my friend. Stand firm and wait on Him.Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

The past 2 weeks

How do I describe these last 2 weeks of my life? May 7th, 2013 a seemingly ordinary day. Julius dressed for work in his new red checked shirt, and new flat front khakis. feeling good, looking great, bounding off to work with a huge smile and a hug with a promise to come home. Last conversation "guess what I read in the book of Jeremiah today" (always, always excited about God's Word) "don't put my pyjamas to the wash", (knowing my habit of throwing everything to the wash), helping me clear the room for the workmen who were coming that day to change the windows (my strong man),  "thank you for making my lunch" (always so gracious and thankful). 10 am - a call from work to say that he was not yet there. No answer on his cell phone - wouldn't have returned a call anyway because his phone was in the trunk of his car (safe driving habit). I just knew that something was horribly wrong. and then a blur of OPP officer at the door, phone call to Ale