Skip to main content

Fear Not, for I Am With You

It has been a year since I last visited my own blog. Don't quite know why. But here I am again - back in my Garden, with a resolve that I will keep it well watered regularly!

This will be the fourth Christmas without Julius. But Christmas has not even crossed our minds, simply because we had a far bigger appointment to keep.

A summons...
      to court…
          We have been called to an examination of discovery. 

Even though I knew this day was coming, it did not stop me from being filled with dread. A lengthy prep meeting with our lawyer seemed to make it even more ominous and heavy. 

We have been asked to remember. The wound that I thought was healed in part, was ripped open sharply. I find myself grieving all over again - re-living the horror and shock.

The only way I could go through this exercise was to remember all the promises that Our Gracious God had given us along the way.

The first promise was the day of May 7, 2013. A day that had started just fine, ended so tragically. I remember being rushed to the hospital in the police cruiser, my daughter sitting in the back. I opened my bible and read, as loud as I could, so she could hear. Over and over again, I read:
“fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41: 10

I came back to this passage this past week. I had heard a very encouraging sermon by John Piper that had brought even more strength and meaning to these verses. If you are reading this page, perhaps you will be encouraged too.

In these verses God commands you 
                                   not to fear or be dismayed because…
                                                              He is with you
                                                                  He is your God 
                                                                        He will strengthen you
                                                                             He will help you
                                                                                  He will uphold you.

In the book of Isaiah 41, the prophet is describing a courtroom. The court is in session and God - the Supreme Judge is calling the whole world to a trial. He has the power to call this session because He is the Judge of all the earth.  “To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance” Is 45:23. Dear reader this is the absolute truth - there is a day when Jesus will return as Judge of all the earth.

Secondly God uses whomever He chooses. In this case it was Cyrus the Persian king who was empowered to fight Babylon and to break down the idols of the nations. Jesus is “King of Kings. Lord of Lords.” Rev 19:16. Remember God is sovereign over all. Never doubt His plans and His power. He will bring His plans to fruition and the outcome will always be according to His plan.

Thirdly God is the Creator. “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth, He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.” Is 40:28. Loved one - He has no beginning and no end. This is the God who watches over you. Human legal systems have only obvious evidence to work with  - Our God sees the motives of the heart and only He judges righteously.

Fourthly God affirms His own people. 'You are My servant, I have chosen you and not rejected you.’" The prophet describes the response of the unrepentant peoples. They try to encourage each other. “Be strong” they say. They look at their own feeble attempts and say “It is good.” How often over these years I have been told “Be strong.” I have nothing in me to be strong in the face of this loss and trial. None of my attempts can change an iota of what happened or bring resolution and healing to my soul. We all need someone stronger than ourselves, some one who has power, some one who loves us infinitely more than we can comprehend, who has our best interests at heart. We need Jesus Himself.

While the nations seek help from their idols, God comforts His people. 
“The God who judges all the earth and calls the coastlands to give account . . .
The God who rules the rulers of history . . .
The God who calls the nations of earth into being because he is first and last . . .
The God who calls his own people and makes himself their God freely and graciously . . .
That God says to us who believe,
I am your God.
I am with you.
I will strength you.
I will help you.
I will uphold you”.

Loved one - do you know this God? Have your considered His call to you? You cannot claim a promise unless you respond to His call. Have you truly surrendered your life to Him and acknowledged that He is the One who governs history and He is the righteous Judge before whom you will one day stand? Do you know that you can never measure up to His standard of Holiness - none of your traditions or church attendance will count when you stand before the throne on judgement day. There is one way that He has provided and that is through His Son Jesus. “And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12.

If you know Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour, will you join me in believing His promise to you. When we came out of the Examination, much like Joshua and Caleb we could affirm - the enemy is big - this trial is huge, but Our God is bigger. We will not fear because Our God is with us, He will strengthen us, help us and uphold us. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

The past 2 weeks

How do I describe these last 2 weeks of my life? May 7th, 2013 a seemingly ordinary day. Julius dressed for work in his new red checked shirt, and new flat front khakis. feeling good, looking great, bounding off to work with a huge smile and a hug with a promise to come home. Last conversation "guess what I read in the book of Jeremiah today" (always, always excited about God's Word) "don't put my pyjamas to the wash", (knowing my habit of throwing everything to the wash), helping me clear the room for the workmen who were coming that day to change the windows (my strong man),  "thank you for making my lunch" (always so gracious and thankful). 10 am - a call from work to say that he was not yet there. No answer on his cell phone - wouldn't have returned a call anyway because his phone was in the trunk of his car (safe driving habit). I just knew that something was horribly wrong. and then a blur of OPP officer at the door, phone call to Ale