Skip to main content

A letter to my daughter on her birthday

Photo credit Gareh J


February 5, 2017


My darling Babsy
Today is a special day for you and for me in many ways. I remember this day 30 years ago as distinctly as if it had happened yesterday. 
Papa and I had waited for 3 years for God to answer our prayers for a child. I did not know the Lord personally but even then, as I look back now, He was teaching me a vital life lesson. Patience in waiting and trust that He will answer my prayers in the way that is best for me, in the time that He chooses and ultimately for His glory.
It was a wondrous day in our home - February 5th, 1987. Not just in our home, but across the miles in Goa. Gammau and Tusa took a flight as fast as they could, and arrived to see you - their little princess. You were so pretty that Nana wondered why we did not call you Rosebud!
But no - Gammau had to have the last word on this one - her grand daughter had to have a name that was rare and beautiful sounding. And so we went with “Alekhya” which means “a picture or a painting.” I know that this made your life so difficult in High School!!  And I know that on hindsight we would not have chosen this name, if we know how rare it was! But the Lord is sovereign and He who knew you before He formed you in the womb, had a good plan for you, Alekhya. 
And so the Lord started to design your life - on a beautiful canopy. A life that He chose for Himself, shaped and formed by His gospel of grace, through His Son Jesus Christ.
Papa and I watched you as you grew from a timid little girl, who shuddered in panic at the slightest sound. Remember your little teddy bear - Mau? You hugged him for comfort. We saw you run from Mau as a toddler, later to us as a teenager and ultimately to Jesus. What a joy it has been to see this progression in your life. 
The journey for all of us started long before we were even aware of it. Our God was watching over us and calling us to Himself. 
Somehow it is easier to see some one else’s journey than your own. And so we looked on and cheered you in your difficult teenage years, as you made painful but right decisions to NOT follow your heart, and the attractive and possibly destructive call of the world, but to stand alone in so many ways. We did not see it then, but God was painting this picture.
We painfully let you go off to University - our little girl, who was so scared to go grade school, was now leaving home. Papa was braver than I, and he knew this was good for you. And he was so right - you came back a young woman who had found the Lord. The picture was getting clearer and more beautiful.
We watched you take your first job, and go into a work place that though difficult, you knew was exactly where God had ordained you to be. And we saw His light sine through the brush strokes of His Hand. The painting got more defined, the colours brighter.
And then tragedy hit and I was left alone to watch God paint with dark colours, very dark shades. For a long time, I could not even see because my eyes were so clouded in my own grief and the colours were so dark.  But God was refining, He was using the ashes of our lives to paint a very crucial part of the painting. 
Today, I stand in awe at what God has done, but I know that the painting is not complete, God is not done as yet. He who has started a good work in you will bring it to completion. I just so wish that Papa was here to watch with me. Maybe Jesus shows Him, I am not sure. Maybe he does not need to see, because He sees Jesus face to face clearly, and that  is so enough, oh so enough. One day we will all see clearly - I can’t wait for that day, when we will all be reunited in heaven.
But for now, press on Babsy. The Lord is doing an amazing work in your life. To Him be the glory and praise and honour for all that He has done. I am looking ahead with expectation and trust in Him, for the years ahead and for as long as I have breath in me, I will be your biggest cheerleader, praying you through whatever comes your way.
I love you so very much. The happiest of birthdays today.
Your loving Mama



Comments

  1. May the Lord bless you on your special day Alekhya!! A great tribute for your mom, Oh such love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Alekhya!
    Wishing you health, peace and prosperity every day of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or