Skip to main content

Peace Like a River

   
     The sun was just peeking through the clouds when I decided I would go out for an early morning walk. The air was crisp and still quite cool. Since it was early enough that not too many people would be out, I decided to go to the ravine. The trail is narrow and does not lend itself to social distancing later in the day when more people are out walking.
 
     This has been my safe space, familiar and calming. Memories of walks with Julius are a soothing companion. It is almost 7 years since he is gone. The landscape has changed some. The bulrushes are much taller, the wooden bridge re-built and the signposts worn and faded. A favourite tree uprooted and lying down after a storm brought it down some years ago.

     The sights and sounds of Spring were everywhere. The green blades of grass are visible as they force their way up. The forest was up early and busy. In these days of isolation, the constant hum or roar of traffic has died down and bird calls were loud, somehow urgent.

     The path to the river was open and so I decided to take a side trail to get to it. The Don river must be in spate upstream because the water was up to the banks here and was rushing downstream at a steady pace.

     I stopped for a moment and closed my eyes and listened. Ever since the COVID nightmare started, my mind has been in overdrive and weary. Too much screen time and too many conversations. It feels like I have filled every waking moment with more noise.

     But this noise was different - the river flowed smoothly, effortlessly for a while until the water hit rocks and branches and then the volume increased to make sweet music. I closed my eyes and listened to this symphony of sound that soothed my soul.

     "Peace like a river." This is God's promise to His people through the prophet Isaiah.  As I listened to the water splash and rush along, the reality of this promise overcame my anxiety and weariness of this pandemic.

     God has made a way for us to have peace with Him through His Son Jesus Christ. In order to have peace, we must have righteousness and the only way to have righteousness is through faith in Jesus Christ. "Seek the Lord while He may be found and call upon Him while He is near." (Is 55:6). Dear Reader, if you have not considered His invitation, do not delay. Read His Word and seek Him with all your heart and the peace that He offers can be yours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea

Thankful

Another first... Last year we had my Papa and Julius at the dinner table. Couple of weeks later my Dad passed away - slipped away in his sleep. Six months later Julius was gone to heaven. To be honest I have asked God "What are you thinking God?" "How do you expect me to move on with so much loss and grief?" And "What is coming next?" I confess that none of these questions are answered because they are not worthy to be asked. God is Sovereign, He is Creator and He is in control and I am so comforted by His Word. In the book of Job I read: But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?      What he desires, that he does. 14  For he will complete what he appoints for me,      and many such things are in his mind . Job 23:13-14. And again in Lamentations 3 For the Lord will not cast off forever, 32  but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;  33  for he does not afflict from his heart   or