Skip to main content

A Letter to my Grandson on Christmas Day 2020

My darling Baby D,
     It is Christmas morning and I am sitting by the fire, thinking of you. Today is a Christmas day like no other. It is the year 2020 and you will surely hear and read much about this year. Your history books will record this year. It the year that a pandemic swept across the whole world.
    It is also the year you were born. It is the year God answered our prayers. We had prayed and waited for many years for you to come. God chose the time of your birth and decided how you would enter our home and our hearts. He gave us you! 
     I cannot describe the emotions I had when I first saw you. You were curled up in your mama's arms. So very tender, soft, sweet, fragile, trusting, small, very small and oh so beautiful. We all fell in love with you on first sight - your grandma, auntie and uncle. I have a funny picture of us all just staring at you as you lay on your mat. We passed you around, held you and loved you. Your Daddy and Mama could not stop smiling. We all agreed that you were perfect looking - of course we are unashamedly biased. 
    Today is your first Christmas Day. It is a beautiful looking day. Fresh snow has fallen overnight and covered the ground, tree tops and branches. It looks like a perfect day to build a snowman and to make snow angels. The tops of the fence in my backyard are covered in an even and perfect layer of snow. I see a squirrel hopping across, making dents in this perfection. 
    The world looks so peaceful and quiet but the reality is that it is not so. The pandemic has forced us to  stay in our homes and away from each other. We ate dinner last night on a Zoom call. I have a picture of us while you sat in your bouncy chair. This is not how we had planned or wanted it to be. 
    The world is dark and bleak today. But this is not the first time it has been dark. The ancient prophets told us of another time when people walked in deep darkness. Isaiah, the great prophet had foretold that God would send the light. God had promised that He would send a Saviour.
    God kept His word. He always does. Sometimes we have to wait a while, but we must wait with hope and with trust in Him. Just as he had promised, but not as the world expected, God sent His Son as a baby born in a manger. This was His only Son Jesus! He came Himself! He came to bring us good news and to free us from the darkness of our sin. Wise men came to look for Him. Many believed and many did not - just like today. 
    I pray everyday for you my precious little one, that like the wise men, you will seek Him at an early age and that you will believe Him and know Him as your Lord and Saviour. 
    I am so looking forward to talking with you and reading to you more about Jesus, Emmanuel, God with us. Merry Christmas my baby Boo. 
     With all my love,
    Grandma Joslyn

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Three days after Julius went home to the Lord, God had given me a promise. He had spoken to me from Psalm 77. Just like He had moved the nation of Israel, He was going to make a way through the deep waters of suffering that I was in. A way that I could not see, a way that I had to trust. I had to make a choice to move forward and believe that the waters would not drown me. (Is 43:2).  I had to believe Him. It is one year and 9 months and there are days even now when the waters seem to overwhelm and there are days when I see a glimpse of the path ahead. Through the prophet Isaiah He says: 'Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

A Letter to My Grandson on His First Birthday

  My darling Baby D, Today is the twentieth anniversary of an event that changed the world forever.  This event that we call 9/11 is in your history books but it is a reality that I share with you. So much more has happened to this world since then. 2020 was the year of the pandemic - this time your reality more than mine. You actually got the dreaded covid bug. It has been a year and some of isolation, masks, vaccines and fear all around us.  Each new day makes our reality uncertain and changing all the time. And yet for me this is a day of hope. 9/11 of 2020 is what I will call it. I had prayed for over five years - sometimes fervently, sometimes desperately, sometimes, honestly not at all. I often got tired of waiting but my weak faith was not going to stop God’s plan.  A year has gone by and I have watched you grow from the tiny fragile little baby, to a  boy who cannot sit still. Oh what joy you bring to my heart. I love your welcome at the condo and your response when you hea